Get into some Snorkelling fun!
Visitors and locals on the will get a chance to snorkel and learn about the amazing coastal and marine environment on the Eyre Peninsula at Smooth Pool near Streaky Bay on Tuesday 10 January 2017.
The exciting snorkelling experience is on offer from the Experiencing Marine Sanctuaries Inc. (EMS) & Natural Resources Eyre Peninsulas Marine Parks Program.
Join snorkel leaders for a guided snorkel at Smooth Pool near Streaky Bay (within West Coast Bays Marine Park). The safe and enclosed ‘pool’ and reef is home to an amazing variety of colourful fish and plant life.
The experience is suitable for children 5 years and above who are good swimmers. Children under 13 yrs must be supervised by a parent/adult at 2:1 ratio (2 children: 1 parent/adult). At least one parent must accompany and supervise a maximum of two children in the water.
- Snorkel 1: Smooth Pool, 10 January @ 10am
- Snorkel 2: Smooth Pool, 10 January @ 12noon
EMS has limited wetsuits and floatation devices for children under 7 years. Ages 5-7 year olds can participate if parents supply child’s own wetsuit and floatation device and supervision is one-on-one by parent. Snorkel tours are taken at (or close to) low tide when there is little water movement and best visibility. Depth ranges from 2-6m. Trained snorkel guides lead the tours and are often accompanied by student or qualified marine biologists.
So how do you go about being a part of summer fun and a hands on education experience in beautiful Streaky Bay?
Here are some FAQ’s.
How do I get there?
When do I arrive at the location?
- Please arrive at least 30 minutes before start time to fill out a registration form and be fitted with snorkel gear
- Look for the EMS marquee & banners at carpark
- Leave yourself at least an hour if travelling from Streaky Bay
Where do I meet to take part in tour?
- EMS Snorkel leaders will have a registration table set up at Smooth Pool carpark
Is there an age limit to enter the event?
- The event is open to children 5 years and above
What can/can’t I bring to the event?
- Bring your own wetsuit and snorkelling gear (if you don’t have your own snorkelling equipment we can provide free of charge – subject to availability on day)
The name on the registration/ticket doesn’t match the attendee. Is that okay?
- That is fine
Do you need to have snorkelling experience?
- You don’t need snorkeling experience but you do need to be a strong swimmer
- Larger groups will be broken down to smaller groups with similar experienced snorkelers in each group. This allows more assistance to those who require it
Feature image: Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources (DEWNR)