Saturday 6 January 2018 is the one day of the year that all youngsters, mums and dads waking up in Streaky Bay eagerly anticipate.
Streaky Bay Tourism stages the popular Family Fish Day on the iconic Streaky Bay Jetty and the best part is that entry is FREE!
There are big cash prizes in 2018 for keen anglers who land the big one or two off the jetty. Streaky Bay Tourism expect a large crowd following a record number entries who have thronged to the jetty to throw a line in and try their luck in recent years.
Prize money categories this year are:
- $100 for the heaviest scale fish caught
- $50 for the heaviest scale fish runner–up
- $10 for the heaviest fish caught for each category and;
- $5 to participants who catch three different species of fish
This ensures that most anglers walk away with prize money.
Anglers are encouraged to register from 8:30am onward before getting down to the business of catching the big one. Participants can cast off from 9:00am and continue until the close of competition at 1:00pm.
In addition to the much sought after cash prizes, registered anglers 18 yrs & under receive a prize bag and there is an exceptional quality rod and reel awarded to the unluckiest angler on the fun filled day.
A sausage sizzle and refreshments will be available from 10:30am with proceeds going to Streaky Bay Tourism. Killas, Streaky Bay will sell bait onsite for a bargain rate so that anglers do not have to leave the competition site.
So come on locals and visitors alike don’t miss out on a fun day of fishing with family and friends and a chance to win some of the great prizes on offer on Saturday 6 January 2018.
Extreme weather may postpone Family Fish Day with 24 hours’ notice if:
- A catastrophic fire danger rating (which is confirmed the day before the applicable day) is issued or;
- The forecast day prior is for 38 degrees or above (on the ABC radio or television) and;
- There are severe or extreme weather conditions predicted for the day of the event or that interrupt the event.
- Notice will be provided to all stakeholders including emergency services and service providers.
- A postponement communication plan will be implemented for the general public via Flow FM radio, fb, notices at the site and verbally.
- If the event is cancelled before or on 6 January then it is likely that the event will be rescheduled for Saturday 13 January 2018.
For all enquiries contact Jayne Holland on 0477 003 540.
Streaky Bay Tourism acknowledge Killas, Streaky Bay the major sponsor and Shimano, Neptune Tackle, South Australian Fishing Tackle Agencies, SA Bait, Donald & Janet Williams and; Bronte Williams for the use of his trailer. Thank you in advance to the wonderful volunteers.
Feature image: Licensed copyright to RDAWEP, Photo by Robert Lang