Saturday 6 January 2018 is the one day of the year that all youngsters, mums and dads waking up in Streaky Bay eagerly anticipate.
Streaky Bay Tourism stages the popular Family Fish Day on the iconic Streaky Bay Jetty and the best part is that entry is FREE!
There are big cash prizes in 2018 for keen anglers who land the big one or two off the jetty.
Streaky Bay Tourism anticipate a large crowd will throng to the jetty to throw a line in and try their luck. The family friendly fun event is a chance to win great prizes.
Prize money categories this year are:
- $100 for the heaviest scale fish caught
- $50 for the heaviest scale fish runner–up
- $10 for the heaviest fish caught for each category and;
- $5 to participants who catch three different species of fishIn addition to the sought-after cash prizes, registered anglers 18 yrs & under receive a prize bag and there is an exceptional quality rod and reel awarded to the unluckiest angler on the fun filled day.
This ensures that most anglers walk away with prize money and/or as assortment of small fishing tackle items.
Anglers are encouraged to register from 8:30am onward before getting down to the business of catching the big one. Participants can cast off from 9:00am and continue until the close of competition at 1:00pm. Streaky Bay Tourism encourages a catch and release policy for the event.
A sausage sizzle and refreshments will be available from 10:30am with proceeds going to Streaky Bay Tourism. Killas, Streaky Bay will sell bait onsite for a bargain rate so that anglers do not have to leave the competition site.
- Image: Joseph Kennedy and Mason and Jordon Elliott at Family Fish Day 2017
Extreme weather may postpone Family Fish Day with 24 hours’ notice if:
- A catastrophic fire danger rating (which is confirmed the day before the applicable day) is issued or;
- The forecast day prior is for 38 degrees or above (on the ABC radio or television) and;
- There are severe or extreme weather conditions predicted for the day of the event or that interrupt the event.
- Notice will be provided to all stakeholders including emergency services and service providers.
- A postponement communication plan will be implemented for the general public via Flow FM radio, fb, notices at the site and verbally.
- If the event is cancelled before or on 6 January then it is likely that the event will be rescheduled for Saturday 13 January 2018.
For all enquiries contact Jayne Holland on 0477 003 540.
Streaky Bay Tourism acknowledge Killas, Streaky Bay, the Streaky Bay Community Hotels Grant, major sponsor and Shimano, Neptune Tackle, South Australian Fishing Tackle Agencies, SA Bait, Donald & Janet Williams and; Bronte Williams for the use of his trailer. Thank you in advance to the wonderful volunteers.
Feature image: Licensed copyright to RDAWEP, Photo by Robert Lang
Family Fish Day 2018 is a part of Visible: A joint initiative of Streaky Bay Tourism & the District Council of Streaky Bay in partnership with the communities of the Streaky Bay region.