Experiencing Marine Sanctuaries Inc. & Natural Resources Eyre Peninsulas Marine Parks Program is excited to give the Eyre Peninsula Community a chance to learn about our amazing coastal and marine environment.
Join snorkel leaders for a guided snorkel at Smooth Pool near Streaky Bay (within West Coast Bays Marine Park) on Sunday 21 January at 11am and 1pm for a great snorkel experience. The safe and enclosed ‘pool’ and reef is home to an amazing variety of colourful fish and plant life.
EMS snorkel tours are suitable for adults with and without children. Friends and families are grouped together.
Suitable for children 5 years and above whom are good swimmers. Children under 15 yrs must be supervised by a parent/adult at 2:1 ratio (2 children : 1 parent/adult) – At least one parent to accompany (in water) and supervise maximum of two children.
EMS has limited wetsuits and floatation devices for under 7 years. 5-7 year olds can participate if parents supply child’s own wetsuit and floatation device & supervision is one-on-one by parent.
Snorkel tours are taken at (or close to) low tide when there is little water movement and best visibility. Depth ranges from 2-6m. Trained snorkel guides lead the tours and are often accompanied by student or qualified marine biologists.
When to arrive
At least 30 minutes before start time to fill out registration form and be fitted with snorkel gear.
Snorkel 1: Smooth Pool: 21st January @ 11am
Snorkel 2: Smooth Pool: 21st January @ 1pm
Where do I meet to take part in tour?
- EMS Snorkel leaders will have a registration table set up at Smooth Pool carpark.
- Look for the EMS marquee & banners at carpark.
Is there an age limit to enter the event?
- The event is open to children 5 years and above.
What can/can’t I bring to the event?
- Bring your own wetsuit and snorkelling gear (if you don’t have your own snorkelling equipment we can provide free of charge – subject to availability on day).
The name on the registration/ticket doesn’t match the attendee. Is that okay?
- That is fine.
Do you need to have snorkelling experience?
- You don’t need snorkelling experience but you do need to be a strong swimmer. Larger groups will be broken down to smaller groups with similiar experienced snorkellers in each group – this allows more assistance to those who require it.
Images: Robert Lang under licensed agreement with RDAWEP