Euphoria…Seven communities, one playwright and several cups of tea…
Life in rural and remote Australia is marked by unpredictability, isolation, economic and financial uncertainty, incessant change and extreme weather events. It’s a tough environment with many challenges that impact on health and wellbeing, yet statistics indicate people in regional areas are happy.
Playwright Emily Steel will examine this paradox as artist in residence in three mental health inpatient units and four communities across regional South Australia.
Emily’s work has been presented at Edinburgh, Perth and Adelaide Fringe and in 2017 her play Rabbits was part of State Theatre Company SA’s Season.
Country Arts SA invites groups, organisations or individuals with an interest in mental health or those with a curiosity in writing, theatre or performance to meet with Emily and share the experiences and challenges of living in regional South Australia and how this affects health and wellbeing.
She will be travelling across South Australia over the next few months visiting Lameroo, Bordertown, Streaky Bay, Ceduna and others regional areas to meet with communities and find out what makes each town unique.
You’re invited to contribute to the new work being written for the Country Arts SA’s Shows On the Road touring program. Your contributions will help inspire the work that we will tour in 2019.
Country Arts SA are developing the new theatre work and we’d love to hear from you, to share the joys and challenges of living in regional SA and learn a little more about what life is like in Streaky Bay & Ceduna. (Regional South Australian voices will be front and centre of this new work – your stories, your experiences, your town.
Emily Steel will be in Streaky Bay on:
- Tuesday 1 May 3pm, Elmhaven Seniors Residential Facility including, a reading from Emily Steels Play Rabbits
- Wednesday 2 May, 10am-2pm, Visit to the Streaky Bay Area School & Community School Library
- Thursday 3 May, 10am-4pm, Pop Up Shop, Wells Street, CBD (Next to the Bay Op Shop)
- Thursday 3 May, 6pm, Pizza ’n’ Poetry, Bayfunktion Café on Thursday 3 May from. Readings by Scott 37 and Emily Steel
- And ‘in between’ flexible times at the Pop Up Shop.
Emily Steel will be in the Ceduna community:
- Friday 4 May, 10-12pm, Ceduna Community School Library including a reading at 11am.
- Friday 4 May, 12-1:30pm Lunch at Blue Dolphin Café and;
- Friday 4 May, 2-4pm at other locations to be advised.
Why not pop in for cuppa and have a chat with Emily? You can get to know a little about her and her writing and we’ll spend some time in conversation.
What gems can you share that highlight what makes Streaky Bay, Streaky Bay or Ceduna, Ceduna!
To express your interest and get involved
- Tammy Hall on 08 8444 0411
- Jayne Holland on 0427 706 454
For dates and more information visit countryarts.org.au
Image courtesy of Emily Steel