Take a trip down memory lane on this self guided tour…the Streaky Bay Historic Walk.
With over 28 locations, the majority of which are situated within the CBD, the historical walk is a popular pastime for visitors wanting to walk off lunch or stroll around our picturesque town. Pull out the brochure from the Streaky Bay Visitor guide and begin your journey to discover plaques, temples, churches, cottages, monuments and cenotaphs. This walk is steeped in mystery and intrigue.
Approximate distance 2.6km
** denotes private residence – please do not enter the property.
Information extracted from ‘The Streaky Bay’ (history book), published 1988
1 STREAKY BAY VISITOR INFORMATION CENTRE
The Masonic Temple was consecrated on 11/03/1926. Meetings were previously held in the Institute Hall. The walls are made from Mt Gambier limestone and the building was used by the Masonics until 2001. The District Council purchased the building and converted it to the Visitor Information Centre, which opened in July 2005.
2 THE CENOTAPH
The WW1 Cenotaph was originally erected in 1921 behind the RSL Hall. The RSL Hall was erected by volunteer labour and opened in 1955. In 1957 a new monument was built on the lawn in front of the Hall. The original WW1 Cenotaph behind the RSL was restored in 2014.
3 NATIONAL TRUST MUSEUM
This building was the local school from 1901 to 1976. It was officially opened as a museum in October 1979.
While walking around our CBD, glance down and you will see some pavers with mysterious words such as “Birds Eye Straight Eight Nash”. Keep an eye out for these ‘museum baits’ strategically located to lure you toward our two remarkable town museums.
4 ** BALFOUR HOUSE
Built as a residence for Baron Von Bockelberg until he later took up farming. From 1884 to 1913 the building was a private hospital run by nurses Ireland and Rowe. This is now a private residence.
5 CHURCH OF ENGLAND
The foundation stone for the present St Augustine’s Church was laid on 14/02/1912. The first church was built in 1868, but not on the present site. The first clergyman, Rev James Orchard, was appointed in 1879.
6 UNITING CHURCH
Known by this name since 1977, this building was originally the Methodist Church and officially opened on 10/12/1911. The manse beside the church was erected in 1929/30, and a new manse was built behind the church in 1983.
7 ** THE BUNGALOW
Until 1913 this building was where mothers from out of town rested prior to the delivery of their babies. This is now a private residence.
8 ST CANUTE’S CATHOLIC CHURCH
Opened on 01/09/1912, Father Richard O’Halloran was the first resident priest appointed in 1914.
9 THE COTTAGE – SHEPHERD’S HUT
One of the original shepherd cottages for Maryvale Station, the hut was once used as an isolated ward/morgue for the hospital.
10 ** MARS
Now a private residence, the building was used for the filming of ‘Blue Fin’, adapted from a novel by Colin Thiele.
Opened in 1992 the museum for restored engines has a huge selection of engines all in working order.
12 BECK’S STORE
The store was originally owned by William Henry Betts and burnt down in 1888. It was rebuilt in the same position a year or two later. WH Betts Store continued until 1955 when Beck’s Bros bought the store and moved from the corner of Bay Road and 49 Wells Street to the present site. It is currently occupied by Betta Electrical.
13 THOMAS MUDGE MEMORIAL
Named after the son of John Mudge (one of the first policemen at Streaky Bay). Born in 1868 Thomas was nicknamed the ‘King of the West’ as he was Australia’s largest cereal farmer at one time.
14 COUNCIL OFFICE/CHAMBERS AND INSTITUTE HALL
The Council office/chambers were opened in February 1961. An office extension and second story were built in 1982. The foundation stone for the original Institute Hall building was laid in 1887. The building of a new hall was discussed in 1921, but an alteration in 1923 consisted of a small public reading room and supper room. Commencement of the new hall started on 27/01/1934. Mrs WH Betts opened the new hall later that year.
15 CHEYNE SEAT
Gilbert [Bert] Cheyne was one of the first postmasters at Streaky Bay. He is commemorated by the ‘Cheyne Chair’, a covered bench seat on the edge of the post office car park looking over the sea. Plaque attached.
16 GRANITE STONE
The site of original Post and Telegraph Station.
17 TOWN JETTY
The jetty was constructed between 1891 and 1896. The plaque (in the cutting opposite the public toilets) commemorates the end of local power in 1970.
The monument is situated on the corner of Bay Road and Alfred Tce in the median strip. Plaque attached.
19 WISHING WELL
Built on the 75th anniversary of the District Council of Streaky Bay, it is situated in the median strip on Bay Road.
20 COMMUNITY HOTEL
The hotel was previously called the Flinders Hotel from 1866. A second story was erected in 1905 and the name changed in 1983. An earlier hotel built in the 1860s stood on the adjacent block.
21 OLD COUNCIL CHAMBERS
Built in 1892 this is a historical building of Streaky Bay. A plaque is located at the front of the building.
22 CAMPBELL’S LANDING
The slipway was dismantled early in 2006. The site is known as ‘Campbell’s Landing’. The first Streaky Bay store was a hole cut in the cliff near the old landing. In 1864 William Campbell covered it with iron and opened for business. The ‘Carol J’ fishing vessel rests nearby. Another plaque is located near the Carol J.
23 POLICE STATION
In 1863 a new station was built on an adjoining block to the old station. Unfortunately in 1962 the old station (one of the first buildings to be erected in Streaky Bay) was demolished after 100 years of service. The old jail/cell block still remains but is no longer in use.
24 ** COTTAGES
Two early buildings of the area, these sites are now private residences.
25 CRITERION HOTEL
The hotel opened in 1868 and closed in 1968. The site is currently the location of Bay FunKtion, Hair Razn and the Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources offices.
26 ORIGINAL BECK’S STORE
This is the site of the original Beck’s Store on the corner of Bay Road and 49 Wells Street.
27 SARAH (GRANNY) REDDING – SITE PLAQUE ONLY
The building on the site was demolished in 2004. It was originally a lying-in home for maternity cases in the early years.
Pioneer graves are enclosed in the walled section near the cemetery entrance.